Sunday 6 May 2012

My Review of 'Looking for Alaska' by John Green


So I just finished this book yesterday, and I gotta say I love it. It has been 'lavved'.
Okay, so maybe, definitely, not as good as the Fault in Our Stars. But it was truly every bit as amazing as my friend described it to be: not just one of those stupid, sappy love story. In fact, I even found I could listen happily to Bullet for My Valentine and Breaking Benjamin along with it. Which, is good.

I am in love with the writing style and witty humor of John Green, and the overall hilarity in 'Looking for Alaska' was actually, for me, completely brilliant. 
Alaska Young, the much sought after girl to Pudge, was a intriguing and enthralling character. To be honest, I was ready to hate her at the beginning of the book; I thought she'd be that picture perfect, badass girl that most of us readers are not so into. Okay, yeah, she's described as being gorgeous, pretty, beautiful, but she's also undeniably screwed up and a total selfish, moody bitch. And not in the good way either. Whatever that means.
All that aside, burying alcohol in the school grounds?? Genius. Hiring a stripper to talk on Speaker Day? Inspiring. And come on, the girl reads!! She's not stupid or a thick headed dunderhead. A life library? Gotta get myself one of those...

The entirely too relatable goals of both Alaska and Pudge to find that 'Great Perhaps' or getting out of the 'Labyrinth' made the story as personal to me as it was hilarious. I hadn't really thought about life in that way, and never really thought anyone else to either. But after reading this book I've seem to come out with a better understanding of these two important life issues. And in the formidable phrasing of the Colonel, I quote- '...I choose the labyrinth. The labyrinth blows, but I choose it.' Straight and fast never is the right way out.
And I'm not saying I'm going to take up Buddhism and try and achieve enlightenment.
But like Pudge; maybe I'm seeking my own Great Perhaps too. And hopefully (unlike his) it does not die... Ehehe...

Now I may wish the book ended somewhat differently, in a way I can't quite put my finger on. But all in all, I am very much addicted to John Green's writing and have realized the up-most important point of becoming more like Takumi Hikohito. 
And yes, I think I've come out of this particular novel with a ...New Perspective. (Panic! at the Disco, anyone?)

               -by Burdge-Bug

So what do all you guys think?

2 comments:

  1. I like the book and you reviewed it rather perfectly! This is my first John Green book and now I'm sincerely looking forward to read The Fault In Our Stars :)

    ReplyDelete